Bike Computer Android App
Current version: 1.0 (build 8).
Ride safely, obey traffic rules, watch where you are going, and wear a helmet.
Bike Computer is an Android application available in the Google Play Store here . The app functions like a bike computer you could buy at your bike shop with a few differences. There are two versions of the app - free and pro. The free version shows your speed, direction of travel, and distance traveled on your current ride. The pro version also shows top speed, average speed, time of your ride, and an odometer for total miles. You can pause and resume recording of speed and distance. A stats screen shows the statistics from your most recent ride.
To record a ride, click and start riding. You'll see your speed, direction, and distance on the screen. When you are done riding, press and . Then you can see the statistics for your entire ride by pressing . Settings and help are available by pressing on the top right of the screen. Once you start recording a ride, you can blank your screen if you want and the app will continue recording.
The main screen shown here shows your speed, direction of travel, and distance traveled on the current ride. The screenshot at the right shows that you are traveling 14 miles per hour east. You've ridden 0.63 miles on this ride so far. Here's what you find on the main screen from top to bottom:
- Speed and Heading - This shows your current speed and the direction you are heading. Direction is abbreviated using N, S, E, and W for north, south, east, and west. "NE" means you are traveling to the northeast.
- Distance - This is the distance you have traveled on your current ride.
- Start / Pause / Resume Button - Use this button to start a new ride, to pause your ride, or resume after pausing. You can use the pause button when you stop for a rest or a long traffic light. Just remember to tap RESUME when you start riding again. Use the pause and then end ride buttons to end your ride.
- Stats Button - This button is available whenever you are not recording a ride. Tap it to open the stats (statistics) screen to learn about your ride.
- Upgrade (free version only) / End Ride Button - When this button is labeled "UPGRADE", you can use it along with Google Play In-App Purchasing to purchase the pro version of the app. The button will be labeled "END RIDE" when a ride is paused. You can tap it when you are done riding to be able to see the final statistics for this ride.
Stats (Statistics) Screen
You can see the stats screen by pressing on the main screen. The stats screen is different for the free and pro versions of the Bike Computer app.
- Top Speed (pro version only) - The highest speed you reached during your recent ride
- Avg (average) Speed (pro version only) - Your average speed on your latest ride. This is simply the distance you have traveled divided by the time of your ride. Time spent standing still, such as at a traffic signal, reduce your average speed.
- Distance - The distance of your most recent ride, in miles or KM
- Time (pro version only) - The time in hours : minutes : seconds of your most recent ride. The time does not count any time your ride was paused.
- Odometer (pro version only) - The total distance of all rides since you started using the app or last reset the odometer
To return to the main screen press at the top or .
Settings and help are available by pressing on the top right of the main screen. You can only change settings when you are not actively recording a ride. The settings you can change are
- Units - Measure your distance and speed in miles or kilometers
- Allow Screen to Sleep (pro version only) - This setting allows your phone to save battery by allowing the screen to sleep while you are recording a ride. If set to OFF (default) the screen will remain on during a ride unless you manually turn off your screen or start using another app. If set to ON, your screen will sleep according to the Android system settings in Settings, Display, Sleep.
- Reset Odometer (pro version only) - Reset your odometer to 0. You may want to do this at the beginning of your riding season or before a series of big rides. You can't do this while a ride is paused. You have to end the ride first.
- Help - Shows this help information
This app uses location to calculate speed, distance, and direction. This app does not upload or share your location or other personal data with anyone. This app does not show ads or share information with any other apps. Upgrading to the pro version of this product helps us continue to develop more great software and updates that respect your privacy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sometimes my speed seems inaccurate for a while. Why is that?
The Bike Computer App relies on the accuracy of the global positioning system (GPS) location data from your phone. There can be times when the location data is inaccurate. That affects the speed calculation. The app uses some internal filtering and logic to try to make up for GPS inaccuracies, but it is not perfect.
Why does it take 10 seconds or so after I turn a corner for the app to display my correct heading?
There is a delay due to the filtering algorithms in the app.
My speed display seems to lag my actual speed by about 15 seconds. Why?
This has to do with the inaccuracies of the GPS signal and the filtering that the app does. The speed display is actually your average speed over the last 20 seconds or so.
For More Information